Seamwork Margo Skirt

I signed up for a Seamwork Magazine subscription a couple of months ago and I've had five patterns sitting in my library waiting to be made! I decided to start with the Margo Pencil Skirt. Look how cute!!


Just look at the skirt on the model from Seamwork. I love the silhouette!
I used a spandex knit I got at Joann's. This is only my second or third time buying fabric that isn't quilting cotton, so I'm venturing outside my comfort zone! In the same trip, I also picked up a pretty chambray-looking rayon. But I realized after I got home that I didn't remember what exactly my knit was made of, or the washing instructions. Lesson learned: if I'm going to start building up a stash, I need to start keeping track of what I buy and how to care for it. At least until I get good enough to just know.

I had the Margo in mind when I bought this spandex knit, as it is fairly sturdy and I thought it would be good for a figure-hugging pattern like a pencil skirt. The right side has these tiny stripes and the wrong side is charcoal grey and soft. I laid out the fabric for cutting and ended up deciding on using the wrong side as the right side. I got a little concerned about the stripes looking wonky when they got stretched across my hips, plus I thought the dark grey would fit in my closet well.



This is a PDF pattern that only has eight pages and only two pattern pieces!! Amazing! The skirt front and skirt back are identical, and you cut four waistband pieces. It was really straightforward.



The skirt has small slits/vents at the bottom that you cut and finish before assembling the rest. I'm proud of myself for using my serger to finish the seams without accidentally cutting off any of the fabric! Last time I tried to serge pattern pieces before assembly, I sliced into the piece by accident and had to cut a new one :( I'm learning more about using the seam guides on my serger, since you don't have the same ability to line up the seam edge with the seam guides as with a regular sewing machine. Plus the knife cuts before the needle sews, so you really have to be sure you're lined up right!


I tried it on before attaching the waistband and it was too big. I debated if I should take it in and then attach the waistband, but I didn't know how much to take off the waistband to match. I decided to attach the waistband and then take it all in - not sure if that's the "right" way to do it, but it worked for me. I also decided I need a curved ruler like this. I eyeballed the curve from where it hit my hip (and fit) to where I wanted to take it in on the waist. It came out mostly fine, but I think a curved ruler would really help get a more refined curve next time. 

Here is the finished product! Finished mostly, anyway...not hemmed yet.

 

Now I need a crop top to wear with it to really show off the high waist!  What do you guys think? How else could I wear this skirt?


Comments

  1. This looks great, Jillian! I am so excited that you started this blog. I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I am trying to figure out some new projects to take on. Do you think this is a good beginner clothing piece??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki!!! I love that you got a sewing machine. Great gift :) This skirt is meant to be made with knit (stretchy) fabrics which you can make as a beginner, but is probably not what I'd recommend if you're truly just starting out. I would choose something meant for woven fabrics that doesn't have a ton of details or closures. Maybe look up the Sorbetto Top by Colette Patterns. It's free and a good garment to learn/practice on. Another good option would be any pattern for a simple elastic waist skirt. I'd love to hear what you end up doing!!

      Delete

Post a Comment