Sewing a Neckband (Men's T-Shirt)

Guys. I sewed a t-shirt for my husband and I am SO pleased with the way it turned out! I specifically wanted to work on attaching the neckband, as that is the part that has really given me trouble in the past. Check out the video and post below!



I have made myself a couple of Hemlock tees by Grainline Studios and it is a great pattern but I haven't done the best job executing it. I think part of it was the fabric I chose, but I also just really needed to practice working with knits and using my serger. My husband loves a good classic tee, and it was a great way to practice my skills and add a wardrobe staple to his closet.

As you can see below, my previous attempts have resulted in uneven bands that don't lie flat and even caught on some unintended gathers in a couple of places.


See how uneven the top one is?

Maybe hard to see, but the bottom shirt has a couple unfortunate areas that got pinched :(

Well this time I used the Metro Men's T-Shirt by Leisl & Co and it seriously came out SO WELL! I went slowly and carefully, using lots of steam on my iron and pinned in excess. I used an unknown knit blend from Joann's (I think it was maybe on the wrong bolt?) that was like a light sweater knit.

What I've learned about attaching knit neckbands is to really press the folded band flat, mark even quarters around both the neckband and the neckline, and match the marked spots. Then, pin frequently in between those pins, evenly distributing the fabric along the neckband (which will be smaller than the neckline opening).

Go slowly when you sew, and check often that the layers are evenly stacked and that there are no gathers or bulk going under the needle.


Ta da! Slow and steady really paid off!!

I even finished all the edges with the serger and folded up to hem with a twin needle, for a nice professional finish. I don't think I've even done all that with my own garments. I have made several items at this point but I let my excitement get the better of me and I skip some of those last steps in my rush to just wear them. But no more! This shirt feels so finished and sleek. This might just be the make I'm most proud of so far! I will definitely be making more tees like this for my husband!









Do you have any tips or tricks for clean finishes? Feel free to let me know!

Comments